Find out more about our other Training Courses.
Legionella Training and Legionnaires Disease Awareness Courses
Feedwater has over 30 years of practical experience in controlling legionella and provides comprehensive legionella training courses covering Legionnaires’ disease awareness and prevention and all aspects of ACoP L8 compliance. As founder members of the Legionella Control Association and contributors to the health and safety guidance reviews we proactively incorporated changes from the latest revisions of the HSE L8 guidelines into our new training courses.
We now have three different main courses for Legionella Awareness:
- Legionella awareness classroom day course – Ideal for responsible persons
- Legionella awareness online course – Ideal for staff with some requirement to understand Legionella awareness
- Landlords Legionella awareness online course – Ideal for private landlords with 1 or more small dwellings
Online Training Courses
We are now offering online Legionella awareness training courses, these come with certificates of completion, the online course is not suitable for designated responsible/ competent persons and should only be used for training staff with some role or some requirement to understand Legionella awareness.
Landlord and Residential Legionella Risk Assessment Course
We have also altered our online course with additional supporting material to make it suitable for landlords, the course also includes access to our risk assessment scheme – you will be able to use this scheme to provide simple, effective and legally compliant assessments for your properties. Why is this important? – New guidance from The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) places a duty on landlord and those in control of properties to assess the risk of infection from Legionella bacteria that cause Legionellosis.
Our online training course will help you to understand:
- What is Legionellosis?
- Who is likely to catch the disease?
- How you can prevent growth of the bacteria
- What does the guidance require of you?
- How to carry out a basic risk assessment on a property
- Your duties to your tenants and members of the public
Why is Legionella Training Necessary?
Management failings are invariably a root cause of all outbreaks of Legionnaires’ disease and one of the chief causes is lack of training and awareness, by management and operators, of the risks and how to control them. In its publication “Legionnaires’ disease: The Control of Legionella Bacteria in Water Systems” ACoP L8, the UK Health and Safety Executive specifically states that people involved in implementing precautionary measures should be adequately trained.
Who should attend?
Site management, maintenance and monitoring personnel who are responsible for the safe storage of water and safe operation of water systems. Anyone wanting a good grounding in legionella awareness and control.
What people have said about the course:
The course was very interesting and was brought to life by the course instructor (Gary Hogben). His clear understanding and use of examples and analogies made the training very insightful. Very informative. Excellent Presentation. Good material handed out.
What courses are available?
Feedwater offers a range of standard and bespoke Legionnaires training courses covering all aspects of Legionella awareness and control. These training courses can be tailored to your specific requirements and can cover topics such as:
- What is legionella, Legionnaires’ disease and legionellosis?
- ACoP L8 training – What the law requires and how to comply
- Legionella Risk Assessment Training – How to identify and assess the risk of your water systems
- Developing control measures
- Legionnaires disease control for cooling water systems
- Legionnaires training for hot and cold water systems
- Water Treatment courses for spa and leisure pools
- Management Responsibilities and Recordkeeping requirements
Training is provided by experts in the field and delivered to small groups to ensure the delegates are fully engaged. Most courses involve a knowledge test and at the end, a certificate is issued. So whatever your requirements, we can help you. Please contact us today.
Presenter: Gary Hogben
This is one of our most popular courses, run by Gary Hogben (*), a legionella expert and an experienced and stimulating trainer. This course provides broad-based training giving delegates an understanding of what legionella is, why it is a risk, how to assess and control that risk and how to comply with ACoP L8 and the law. The Legionella Awareness Training Course covers the following areas:
- The background to Legionnaires’ disease and other legionelloses.
- The natural history of the bacteria responsible.
- The legal position under COSHH and L8.
- Risk identification and assessment.
- The written scheme of control.
- Management responsibilities.
- Maintenance precautions and control measures in at-risk water systems.
- A short multiple-choice examination!
A training certificate will be issued after the course is complete.
(*) Your Trainer – Gary Hogben, B.Sc., C.Biol.
The seminars will be presented by Gary Hogben B.Sc, C.Biol. MSB, MWM. Soc. Gary is a professional scientist and trainer, specialising in the detection and control of Legionella bacteria in water. He has extensive experience and a vast knowledge of the subject and is regularly contributing to the national and international agenda for Legionella control. He is also a very able trainer, who makes learning enjoyable and easy.
- Gary has represented the United Kingdom on a European Committee producing a European standard for Legionella control.
- He worked with the Environment Agency’ Committee of Analysts setting sampling standards for Legionella testing in water.
- Recently appointed as a Technical Advisor to the Department of Health regarding selection of techniques for the suppression of Legionella in water supplies in healthcare.
- He has achieved a Department of Trade and Industry SMART award for his research into the rapid detection of Legionella in water.
- Gary has collaborated with the Health Protection Agency Centre for Infections in London on a study on prevalence of Legionella in water throughout the UK.
- Over several years he has delivered a series of very successful and well received training seminars throughout the UK and Europe on Legionella control.
- Gary is Feedwater Ltd’ Technical Manager and manages our busy UKAS accredited laboratory. He is a member of the Society for Biology, and the Society for Applied Microbiology & holds Chartered Biologist status. He is also a member of The Water Management Society.
Other Services that may be of interest
As well as training, we provide a comprehensive range of legionella control services:
- Legionella Risk Assessment
- ACoP L8 Compliance & Water Hygiene Services
- Legionella Testing Service
- Disinfection and cleaning services
- Cooling Water Treatment
- Cooling Tower Foam Cleaning
- Legionella Control with Chlorine Dioxide
NB: We are the only UK water treatment company that has its own in-house UKAS-accredited legionella testing laboratory which means we are uniquely placed to help you. Are you worried? Is your water system contaminated right now? Find out in less than 24 hours using qPCR our rapid legionella testing service. Whatever your Legionnaires disease prevention or water treatment needs, contact us today! +44(0)151 606 0808.